Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Barbecue Bean Soup

I continued cooking after lunch and made a scrumptious dinner.


This turned out super filling and delicious. It made the whole house smell wonderful. Supposedly it gets even more flavorful the next day. The recipe is true to its serving size. 4 of us ate it for dinner tonight, and there is 3-4 servings leftover.

In order to avoid canned goods, I substituted 3lbs Roma tomatoes for the canned, 4 bell peppers roasted, 7 cups of pinto beans, and homemade veggie stock for the beef. The tomatoes took a while to prep. In all, the recipe is a little time consuming, 2 hours+. The ingredients are very voluminous. It filled the entire 6 quart to the brim, but after simmering for an hour and a half, it ended up being only 2/3 full. The lengthy simmering is needed to develop the barbecue flavors since there is no pre-made sauce and to break down the tomatoes. I also subbed cholula chipotle hot sauce for the tabasco. The smokey flavor goes great with the dish. We all think it could have used more heat. Next time I will use 2 tbsp. Everything seemed spot-on taste-wise. The cider vinegar really adds dimension to the dish.

I served the soup with a salad and cornbread. The cornbread turned out great!
It went well with the soup. Since it includes butter (1/2 cup!) and milk (i substituted 2/% for whole), it is not vegan. I have made a vegan recipe, but it didn't impress me.

For the salad I tossed spinach, julienned carrots, and cabbage with
It's not the best dressing I've made. I accidently over-salted, so to compensate I doubled the recipe and added a splash of tequila. I probably won't make this vinaigrette again.

No comments:

Post a Comment