Saturday, September 26, 2009

Veggie Tacos


This healthy recipe I have made before. I remember it took a long time to cook a lot of ingredients individually. It seems almost like a Tex-Mex ratatouille. This time I decided to start with sauteing the garlic, onion and red pepper until translucent, then I added the spices, sauteed another minute, then the salted drained eggplant. Once the eggplant started to soften, I added the tomatoes, beans and parsley. Then I brought to a simmer and waited for most of the water to evaporate (this took a looong time! 30 min+). I seasoned at the end (since the eggplant had already been salted), then added juice of a lime and a few tbsps of cilantro. This added the acidity and herbs needed to round out the flavors. It turned out very similar to my black bean dip with the only differences of addition of pepper, eggplant, extra tomatoes, and lack of corn.

I substituted several ingredients in order to avoid canned foods and for personal taste. To begin with i used 2 lbs of tomatoes instead of the canned. Next time I will remove pulp and excess liquid from tomatoes to cut down on the simmering time. I substituted the chickpeas and pinto beans for 3 cups of black beans. I remembered the previous time it seemed to be a low bean ratio. Next time I will add a hot pepper (seeded habanero) to the onions to bring up the spice level.

I served the tacos with grated cheese, sour cream (omit both to keep vegan), diced avocado, shredded lettuce, and the most amazing Cholula chipotle hot sauce ever. These were very delicious and messy, but not very filling. I ate 3! I had two for lunch a few days later, and was hungry all afternoon. The softness of the filling goes very well with the crunchy taco. It would also be delicious as a dip with tortilla chips. Because the filling is so soft, I would not recommend to eat with soft tortillas. Maybe next time I will serve in lettuce cups to keep fat and calories down (since the cheese, avocado, and sour cream has enough). I also won't feel so guilty to eat 3!

The recipe says to rewarm for 1 1/2 hours. I think this is a little ridiculous. 2 servings reheat in the microwave in about 2 minutes just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment