Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oven-Fried Chicken with Pineapple Salsa and Potato Salad

Even though I've been on a healthy kick, I have been craving fried chicken! This low-oil version looked like a good candidate.

I forgot to make the marinade the night before so it did not marinade as long as I had intended. I used the Cholula Chipotle hot sauce because I am obsessed with it. It is unclear what they intended for the onions. I followed the recipe and sliced them (maybe i will make onion rings - oh so healthy!) but they were just in the way when I was trying to find chicken strips to bread. I think the chicken strips were smaller than what the recipe intended, as some of the chicken strips were dried out after baking. Also several stuck to the baking sheet, so I would lightly grease next time to prevent losing breading. It was a mediocre dish, I am not sure if I would make again. Alex and Kelly made a different fried chicken (real-fried, NOT part of my diet atm) that was a lot more flavorful.

To dip the chicken fingers in, I decided to make a pineapple roasted poblano salsa.
This turned out very tasty. I blended in blender for a few seconds to give it more of a dip quality. I also added two roasted red jalapenos alex picked up from the nex since poblanos have no spice. It definitely got some heat. I think it is delicious as a salsa, but not necessarily for a chicken tenders dip.

To accompany fried chicken, I chose a mayo-free potato salad. It had sweet and regular potatoes, so I figured the more variety and color, more nutritious. Kelly requested mashed potatoes, but I just couldn't justify nutritional benefits.
I decided to forgo the bacon (I considered turkey bacon, but decided with the chicken, we didn't need any extra protein and fat) and I substituted mustard greens for spinach (as other reviewers did) since we had spinach in the fridge and since I have never seen mustard greens at the grocery. The marinade turned out very honey-mustard, but not as spicy as I hoped. I think the olive oil flavor was a bit overwhelming. Next time I might sub for a more mild tasting oil, grapeseed oil perhaps? When I steamed the potatoes for the recommended time, I thought I had steamed through, but discovered at dinner that many were not quite cooked through all the way. Also, the spinach did not wilt like I had hoped. Next time, I will make sure to cook the potatoes through and maybe throw the spinach on the steamer in order to wilt a bit.

1 comment:

  1. The potato salad sounds lovely. I'd like to try that one.

    ReplyDelete