Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Spaghetti Squash with Pomodoro Sauce

Happy equinox. It is now officially fall and the grocery is filled with fall squash. With my wedding being 32 days away, I stumbled upon this healthy low-calorie recipe to use fall's great harvest. What better way to celebrate fall than with a delicious healthy lunch?


I could not find a spaghetti squash as small as 1 1/2 lbs. The one i bought was almost 3 pounds! Being only $0.79/lb I couldn't complain.

Instead of using canned tomatoes for the pomodoro sauce, I used Emeril's oven-roasted tomato sauce method.


I used 3lbs of Roma tomatoes ($1.79/lb) and 12 cloves of garlic. I ended up roasting the tomatoes for 45 minutes until caramelized.

While the tomatoes cooled, I prepped onion and sauteed. While the onion was sauteing, I blended tomatoes and garlic in the blender and added to onion mixture. I followed another reviewer's advice and reduced 1/2 cup red wine in the tomato sauce while the squash cooked. I also used only fresh oregano and basil in lieu of dried. Because I added the wine, I did not add the wine vinegar.

The 3lb squash took about 40 minutes to roast, but i think i might have over-cooked it slightly. After adding the sauce, i springkled with freshly grated parmesan (omit to keep vegan). The 3lb squash only 3 servings! Next time I will buy a bigger squash, as I have 1 1/2 cups leftover pomodoro sauce! The sauce turned out delicious, but mixed with the squash it was a little watery. All in all a healthy delicious lunch and a great way to kick off fall! After my sister and I ate, I have 1 serving left for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment